2009/10/14

Kishiwada Danjiri festival

I went to watch the Kishiwada Danjiri festival again this year.

Before I visited the festival actually, I only had watched the Danjiri (float) be pulled around the city at terrific speed by fearless men on TV.

Five years ago, one of my associate took me to the festival. Since then, I have been so interested the float's beautiful carvings and the drum music and some traditional noisemakers rhythm so
I keep visiting the festival every year even by myself.

Danjiri float

The men turn the Danjiri corners almost 90 degrees with timing signals from Taiko (a Japanese drum) or traditional noisemaker.
The techniques are magnificence and very deep.

Danjiri festival

I guess the Taiko rhythms are for Damjiri run speeds.
I have not understood well yet but I think there are 4 type of rhythms.

1) Most rapid rhythm (= (Danjiri) run )
2) Middle rhythm(= gallop)
3) Slow rhythm(= walk )
4) Very slow rhythm (= stop or most slow walk)

I am always moved people pulling the float while chanting "Sooorya, Soorya" lively all together.
If you have chance, please visit there September 14 and 15 (same date on every year).
It is more wonderful than you just watch it on TV.

I am now really enchanted by carving arts on the Danjiri.

K.O from Sun-Tec headquater

We can do it!
SUN-TEC WebSite >> http://www.sun-tec.net/english/index.html